Teach in the United States
Visa Length: 1 - 5 years
Teach to Influence the Youth in the United States
The future development of any nation is in the hands of teachers. The J-1 Teacher Program is a nonimmigrant cultural exchange program, which gives foreign teachers the opportunity to teach in accredited primary and secondary schools in the United States. Teachers may work in a U.S. school for up to 3 years, with the possibility of extending the program for an additional 1 or 2 years.
The J-1 Teacher Program is designed to immerse the teacher and students in a cultural component. Exchange teachers participate in cross-cultural activities in schools and communities, and they return to their home school after the exchange to share their experiences and increased knowledge of the United States and the U.S. educational system
Teachers in this program have the opportunity to work in the United States for up to 5 years, while earning a salary that is similar to what U.S. citizen teachers earn.
Shape a Nations Future
Teachers present students with ideas from a refreshing perspective, which empowers them to think with a greater point of view. This program gives teachers the opportunity to inspire a new generation of leaders, enrich the minds of the youth, and shape a nation’s future.
Where will I be teaching?
School districts across the United States count on us to hire talented teachers to teach classes in various subjects. Some of the classes that school disctricts hire teachers for include:
- Special Education
- English Language Arts
Eligibility for visa duration
1. Are currently employed as a teacher in his or her home country, or country of legal residence.
2. If not currently employed as a teacher, have within the past 12 months completed an advanced degree beyond the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in either general education, or in the specific academic subject field in which they intend to teach.
- Are non-U.S. citizens.
- Are 18 years of age or older.
- Have strong proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Possess a degree that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree in either general education, or in the specific academic subject field in which they intend to teach.
- Meet the necessary qualifications for teaching in primary or secondary schools in their home country.
- Have at least two (2) years of full time, post-degree classroom teaching experience as a lead teacher in a primary or secondary school.*
- Are of good reputation and character.
- Have the ability to satisfy the teaching eligibility standards, including any necessary certification or licensing, of the U.S. state or school in which they intend to teach.
- Do not intend to use the program as a path to permanent residency or employment in the U.S.
The teacher must currently be participating in the J-1 program and in the United States in order to be to be eligible for an extension of 1-2 years.
You can earn an annual salary between $30,000 - $70,000 USD!
Steps to how we work
We’ll help you every step of the way: matching you with the right position and employer, providing visa and migration assistance, and preparing you for your life in the United States.
Submit an application so we can review your qualifications.
Schedule a free consultation call with a CareerDean representative to explore your options. Here is where we will answer all of your questions about the placement process and visa qualifications. We’ll talk about your skills, your experience, and your career goals. You can even tell us a little about what you like to do when you’re not working. Go ahead, we’ll listen.
Register into the program.
Interview with our partnered organizations for an employment opportunity. Dont worry, we’ll prepare you for the interview.
Once a hiring decision is made, we will assist you through the visa process and work with you to make travel arrangements.
Don't know where to start?
Explore your options with a CareerDean representative!